Dhauti. What to look for
Vamana and Vastra-dhauti
Starting to practice yoga, before us, one way or another, there is a question of purification. First, because they become obvious problems with the body surface of various abnormalities in the body; second, I really want to learn to manage your consciousness, but when it gets here and there, the breathing is not enough, then sit uncomfortable, the success is not in a hurry to manifest. Here comes the understanding that the body needs to reset and reset, it is necessary to establish, it would seem, the most primitive, but too important — our body, especially since each yogic cleansing practice is aimed not only at the physical, but also on the energy aspect of the body.
According to the classical texts, there are six main cleaning techniques, call them shatkarma (shat — ‘six’, karma ‘act’): dhauti, Neti, Basti, Nauli, kapalabhati, Trataka. And today we will consider some procedures related to shatkarma called "Dhauti".
Dhauti means ‘inner cleansing’ and includes such procedures as cleaning the teeth (danta-of dhauti), tongue (jihva-of dhauti), sky (chapelridge of dhauti), eyes (chakshu-dhauti), ears (Karna-dhauti), the entire digestive tract (varisara of dhauti), stomach (Vamana-dhauti), etc. In this article we take a closer look at Vamana, dhauti and Vastra-dhauti.
Vamana-dhauti can also be found under the name "kunjala". This practice is designed to get rid of excessive mucus of the stomach and respiratory tract and, as a result, to improve their work. From the energy point of view, Vamana-dhauti helps to raise the energy from the anahata chakra and harmonize its work. Also, according to Ayurveda, this technique balances Kapha dosha, because this dosha is prone to excessive accumulation of mucus in the body.
Preparation and technique of Vamana-dhauti
- To perform the procedure, it is necessary to dilute about 0.5–1 teaspoon of salt in 2 liters of water (depending on the purpose of the amount of water can be increased). The taste of the solution should come out barely salty. Water should be slightly warm, not below room temperature;
- Perform kunjala on an empty stomach in the morning;
- Quickly drink the maximum amount of water, so that the stomach was filled and there was a feeling of strong swelling and the fact that the water is already in the throat. Ideally, when we bend over, it should spontaneously induce vomiting.
- We bend over a bath, a sink or in advance prepared basin, we place two fingers in a mouth and we cause vomiting. It is not always possible to induce vomiting the first time. Effective method when the water is drunk sitting on his haunches. In this position, it does not pass below the stomach and presses up harder, which facilitates the procedure.
- It is advisable to try to keep track of what quality water comes out. It should not have blood spots or clots-this is an indicator of the affected walls of the stomach or esophagus, which is a contraindication to perform the technique.
- How often to clean. Since Vamana-dhauti is not only a cleansing technique, but also has a serious stimulating effect, people with different constitutional types need different frequency of its implementation. Most clearly illustrates the picture Ayurvedic approach to the concept of the Constitution. For example, Vata - and Pitta-type people should not abuse this procedure, whereas Kapha - type people can benefit greatly from systematic Vamana-dhauti. This is due to the fact that the property of Kapha-dosha (dosha means ‘deviation’) manifests itself in excess mucus, which suppresses the work of gastric juice and reduces the process of digestion, in other words, Vamana-dhauti helps to kindle the fire of digestion, thereby strengthening Pitta. Thus, those who have Pitta so pronounced, ie, gastric juice and bile are allocated intensively, do not unnecessarily stimulate these processes, but cleansing every few weeks or months will also benefit. As for the Vata-type, such people also need to be careful, because this type is prone to a weak mucous barrier and an increase in the secretion of gastric juice can harm the walls of the stomach. But even here a single procedure is more for energy than physical effect, it can be useful.
Effects of performing Vamana-dhauti:
- Strengthening the digestive fire;
- Harmonize Kapha dosha;
- Renewal of gastric mucosa and respiratory tract;
- Increased secretion of gastric juice;
- Restoration of the bile ducts, intestines, stomach, pancreas, connecting their ducts and sphincters;
- Removal of mucus from the Airways, including the sinuses;
- Balanced work of the bronchial tree.
Contraindications to Vamana-dhauti:
- Gastritis, peptic ulcer in the acute stage;
- Cirrhosis of the liver (this deviation causes dilation of the esophageal veins, during vomiting they can be damaged, which will lead to bleeding);
- Tumors of the digestive tract, cholelithiasis.
With caution you need to perform Vamana in the following cases:
- If there is a tendency to hypersecretion of the stomach (Pitta-type) and those who have a low level of mucus (Vata-type); in these cases, special variants of Vamana with the use of medicinal plants should be used;
- During pregnancy;
- There are severe vision problems;
- In heart disease;
- In diabetes;
- In asthma.
We now turn to an interesting shatkarmas like Vastra's, dhauti. The procedure is extremely serious and, according to" Hatha yoga Pradipika", should be performed in the presence of a guru, i.e. a person who has repeatedly independently performed it and knows what's what not only in theory but also in practice. In General, Vastra-dhauti looks like swallowing several meters of matter and then pulling it back through the mouth. But everything in order.
Preparation and technique of Vastra-dhauti:
- First, prepare the tissue for ingestion. It can be a bandage or a strip of muslin 5-8 cm wide (width of four fingers) and 6-7 meters long. You need to make sure that the edges of the matter was not threads, if there are, they need to be cut. In addition, it must be washed with soap and roll into a roll.
- Immediately before the procedure, the washed tissue should be boiled for 5-10 minutes and let it cool.
- Vastra-dhauti is performed in the morning on an empty stomach. It makes sense not to eat after 18 hours of the previous day.
- Squat with the knees wide apart (crow Pose) and put one edge of fabric to the tongue deep closer to the throat, the fabric should be straightened by language.
- Gently begin to swallow the fabric, not succumbing to vomiting. If the urge is strong, you need to stop and wait, you can drink a few SIPS of warm water-this should facilitate the ingestion of matter.
- The fabric is swallowed until there is a small piece to pull it back.
- When the tissue has entered the stomach (with the exception of the tip for pulling), you need to do several approaches Nauli. If Nauli is not yet mastered, one can perform agnisara dhauti-Kriya.
- Then we begin to slowly and gently pull the fabric through the mouth until an unpleasant feeling. It is also important not to succumb to vomiting. If you have this feeling, you can drink a few SIPS of warm water, thus smoothing the matter.
- The procedure is over when all the matter is back in our hands;
- It is better not to use it anymore or wash with soap and dry. Before the next time, be sure to boil.
- It is very important not to swallow the tissue completely! If the fabric is fully entered into the stomach, you should try to drink as much water and induce vomiting, the ideal option in this case would still be able to retrieve her ball, and to catch the end of the matter and to finish the procedure, gently pulling her.
- Do not leave the tissue in the stomach for longer than 20 minutes.
- When performing the exercise, keep calm, this is the key to successful practice.
- This practice is complex enough that it may take some time to master. To do this, you can perform the technique, starting with half a meter and increasing every day the length of the swallowed matter by half a meter. With due diligence in a couple of weeks you can get a full implementation of Vastra-dhauti.
- After Vastra-dhauti, it is advisable not to eat for three hours. Food should be neutral, it can be easy a little oil mess.
The effect of this practice is very similar to that of Vamana-dhauti. In addition, traditional yogic texts promise to get rid of diseases of the spleen and gallbladder, dilation of the gastric glands, inflammation, cough, asthma and leprosy. It is also said that Vastra-dhauti eliminates all diseases of Kapha, i.e. everything related to sputum, excessive accumulation of mucus. Contraindications to Vastra-dhauti
The contraindications for Vastra-dhauti are the same as for Vamana-dhauti.
As we can see, Vamana - and Vastra-dhauti can be of great benefit. It should be noted that the benefit is not only in the harmonization of physical aspects, a huge effect is also at the energy level. These practices help to overcome unnecessary experiences on the anahata chakra (jealousy, unrequited love, emotions associated with excessive manifestation of anxiety for others, etc.), to cope with the problems of manipura chakra (overeating, lack of will, greed, etc.). There may also be a transition to the level of Vishuddha with the acquisition of its strengths, such as the power of the word. Of course, shatkarmami alone can not do, yoga should go in a complex that includes the observance of the vows of Yama and Niyama, and asanas, and pranayamas, and most importantly, with awareness and desire for a good life!